Skip to main content

The Story of a Faithful Attendee to Grace Hopper


Since 2007, I have been a faithful attendee to Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (GHC)- only missing two (2008 and 2010).  At first, I didn't know what to expect since I have never attended a conference like this before. I was shy and soft-spoken. Let's say that I was the complete opposite of who I am today. So I was just planning to go along for the ride.

Well, what happened next was quite unexpected. Attending the Latinas in Computing (LiC) session, “Successful Latinas Opening Doors to the Future: Advancing Latinas in Computing” at GHC 2007 (Theme: I Invent the Future) had a great impact on me. The panel featured six distinguished Latinas from industry and academia discussing and sharing their personal and professional experiences. The session was very powerful and inspirational. I left the room highly motivated wanting to conquer the world - no words could describe how I felt. The discussion in this panel was inspiring, supportive, and just amazing.

A lot has changed since GHC 2007. I'm no longer the quite person with low self-esteem. I've learned to stand-up for myself when needed and to be strong. I'm more involved in my profession and the community, helping out others in anyway I can. My message to those out there is that it's OK when you feel like you're not good enough. You just need to BELIEVE in yourself. Don't let others tell you otherwise!

Now, you all know why I'm a faithful attendee to Grace Hopper. This conference helps people like me and you not just at the professional level but also personally. It gives you the tools to succeed and to be the best you can be. From building your low self-esteem to helping you get the job of your dreams. The conference offers many opportunities and the chance to learn, share, participate, network and more.  Definitely, I can say "many more" ...But instead of me telling you all of this ...Why don't you come to Grace Hopper and try for yourself?  You will be amazed at what you will find!!

Look forward to meeting you all at GHC 2012!

Cheers,
Mirkeya
P.S. Stop by Latinas in Computing Community Table and say "Hello"
Twitter: @Mirkeya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Time! .... I'm Back!

  Time Flies!!  It has been a while since my last post!  I have been so busy with work and teaching that I haven't had a chance to write. Unfortunately, Blogger is not making it easy anymore!  I cannot longer post from my iPhone unless I pay for the app.  That's not cool!  I'm considering moving my blog to another blog site (preferably a free blogging site). I'm not sure which one to select.  Perhaps, you can provide some recommendations. Here are some of the blogs I'm looking at: Wix Yola Weebly Medium Ghost Joomla WordPress.com Tumblr WordPress  (self-hosted) etc... You can also find me in: Twitter:   @Mirkeya Instagram:  @DrMirkeya Look forward to your recommendations!! 

Let's help spread the word! NYU to Waive Tuition for Displaced Puerto Rican Students

Please help spread the word!   Puerto Rico students need our support!!  N.Y.U. Will Waive Tuition for Displaced Puerto Rican Students. Application Deadline Dec. 15th. (link: http://nyti.ms/2j2r1Dq) nyti.ms/2j2r1Dq #PuertoRico #education #highered #Scholarship #freetuition @LatinasInC @naydagsantiago @SHPE @HostosCollege