Skip to main content

Preparing for Grace Hopper Celebration of Women In Computing 2013

You may be asking yourself….What to pack, what to bring, oh man!!  Any help anyone?  Well, I think I can help you with that!
 

Here are a couple of tips to get you ready for the conference:

Tip #1: Pack comfortable clothes and check the weather.  Start by counting the number of days you plan to stay in Minneapolis. If you are planning to attend several events during the day, you’ll probably want to bring clothes you can mix and match to make multiple outfits.  I find this very handy when I want to change my look.  Most importantly, don’t forget to pack clothes appropriate for the weather.

Depending on your style, you can wear casual or business casual.  As weird as it may sound, I don’t like wearing jeans or sneakers.  I love my high heels ….I always bring my mid-high shoes and flat shoes.  


Tip #2: Bring business cards; make sure to pack plenty! If you don’t have any, you can use MS Word to create your own.  Simple right?  But if that’s no good, then go to Staples and have them done there.

Tip #3: Review the schedule ahead of time.  This is very important.  Check the sessions that you want to attend and the people you want to meet.  The conference is full of great sessions this year and it will be a difficult decision to make when it comes to which session to attend.

Tip #4: Prepare your elevator speech.  This is a MUST!  You want to be prepared when someone asks you about your career and what you do.  Instead of sounding unprepared, write it down and practice it. Remember, you want to give a good impression.


Tip #5: Get ready to network and mingle.  Grace Hopper is not just about learning and sharing but also about networking.  Be prepared to meet great women in computing just like you.  I strongly recommend that you try to meet as many people as you can.  

Don’t just hang out with your friends.  I know …I’m also guilty as charged! This is the only time I get to meet with all my GHC friends.  Don’t be shy to introduce yourself; I bet the other person may be having the same problem.  A simple “Hi” won’t hurt!  


Tip #6: Bring copies of your resume.  Grace Hopper is the perfect place for job opportunities. This ties in with networking; you may meet someone who’s looking for your specific set of skills. You never know!

I have attended several Grace Hopper Conferences and every time that I go it amazes me.  

Tip #7: Don’t forget about your health! You never know what may happen, so don’t forget to plan for possible migraines, stomachaches, or sore throats from talking so much!

Tip #8: Save room for all the goodies.  At the end of GHC I always come home with t-shirts, pens, book bags, and anything else that can fit in my luggage.  There’s a lot of useful stuff given away at GHC.

Aside from that, don’t forget the souvenirs. While exploring the city you may find some nice things to take home as a reminder of your great trip!


Tip #9: Volunteer at GHC.  There is still time to volunteer and help promote your community.  This will give you the opportunity to learn more about GHC and our cause. We need more Latinas in the community so this is your chance to get involved.  Send me a DM @mirkeya

Stop by and visit us at the Latinas in Computing ABI Community Booth.  I'll be there waiting to meet you!!

Comments

  1. I'll be blogging in spanish this year! see you in a bit :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apply for 2014-2015 XSEDE Scholars Program (XSP) - Application deadline April 1st, 2014

2014-2015 XSEDE Scholars Program (XSP) Application "...., Are you interested in learning more about high performance computing (HPC) and the exciting and valuable digital resources available to research scientists for free?  If so, the XSEDE Scholars Program (XSP) is now accepting applications for its selective year-long program for U.S. students from underrepresented groups in the computing sciences to learn more about high performance computing and XSEDE resources. The focus is on the following underrepresented groups: African Americans, Hispanic/Latinos, Native Americans, and women. As a part of the XSP, you will:   -    Receive a travel grant to attend XSEDE 14 in Atlanta, Georgia   on July 13   – 18, 2014 ( https://conferences.xsede.org/xsede14 ). -  Meet other Scholars in special session at XSEDE14 and via an online community throughout the year. -  Join a select community of over 100 former XSEDE Scholars. -  Network wit...